NOTE: This site is in the process of being archived. Information on the Australian Multicultural Council can now be found on the Department of Social Services’ website at www.dss.gov.au/amc.
The Australian Multicultural Council (AMC) was established in 2011. The term of the first Council ended on 30 June 2014.
The AMC’s priorities were covered in its terms of reference which are:
- advise the government on multicultural affairs
- act as an independent champion of our multicultural nation
- have a formal role in a strengthened access and equity strategy
- have a research and advisory role around multicultural policy
- assist with cultural diversity celebrations and Harmony Day activities
- implement a ‘People of Australia Ambassadors’ programme to articulate the benefits of, and help celebrate, our multicultural nation.