Australian Multicultural Council (AMC)
The Australian Multicultural Council was officially launched by the Prime Minister, the Hon Julia Gillard MP, on 22 August 2011 at Parliament House in Canberra.
The AMC's priorities are covered in its terms of reference which are to:
- advise the government on multicultural affairs
- have a formal role in a strengthened access and equity strategy
- have a research and advisory role around multicultural policy
- assist with cultural diversity celebrations and Harmony Day activities
- implement a 'People of Australia Ambassadors' Program to articulate the benefits of, and help celebrate, our multicultural nation.
See: Council members
Media releases from the AMC are available.
Council welcomes launch of new SBS radio schedule – 10 May 2013
Council commends initiatives to boost social cohesion – 12 April 2013
Council supports government's response to access and equity inquiry – 25 March 2013
Australia Day – a day for reflection as well as celebration – 25 January 2013
Call for People of Australia Ambassadors 2013 – 12 January 2013
Council urges media accuracy in reporting – 6 December 2012
Council welcomes SBS' extended radio language schedule – 5 December 2012
Multiculturalism key to success in the Asian century – 29 October 2012