The Australian Multicultural Council (AMC) was established in 2011. Its term ended on 30 June 2014.
The AMC’s priorities were covered in its terms of reference which were to:
- advise the government on multicultural affairs
- act as an independent champion of our multicultural nation
- have a formal role in a strengthened access and equity strategy
- have a research and advisory role around multicultural policy
- assist with cultural diversity celebrations and Harmony Day activities
- implement a ‘People of Australia Ambassadors’ programme to articulate the benefits of, and help celebrate, our multicultural nation.